Sunday, March 29, 2009

The Search Continues....

Well.... we decided not to go with the house I last blogged about.
The owner didn't want to budge on the asking price and that really was OK, but my intuition was telling me not to do it. I felt like if we took the house, that we would be settling. I really wasn't comfortable being right on the main road and we want to homestead so of course we want to be farther out in the country.

O-well...
The search continues. There is nothing out there right now that's in our price range so we'll have to sit and rent for a while. I'm trying not to be impatient, but patience is not my best virtue.

I've actually gotten completely infatuated with a small town (if it can even be called that) that's 27 miles away from the town we live now. It is as far as you can go before you start to enter Hells Canyon. It has ONE tavern that sells a minuscule amount of groceries next to it's pool table and dining tables. Sounds strange, but it's actually quite charming. Walking in there is like going back in time. The only other building is the tiny post office. All shopping and other necessities would require a 30 minute drive into town.
I'm concerned about the commute that my husband would have to take 4 or 5 days a week and my daughter would have to take the bus into town because she doesn't want to home school. Yet, I'm still very drawn to the area. Gardening is better there because it's warmer...it's lower in elevation and the winter's aren't as long.
I know many of you that read my blog homestead. Out of curiosity, how far out of town do you live?

On the lighter side...
My husband called me at work the other day, ecstatic that he had successfully roped his first cow and was able to pin it down while it got it's first set of vaccinations. Doesn't sound like much for those who were raised ranching, but he's an auto mechanic by trade. Cows are all new to him. It's so fun to hear how happy he is and that he loves his job. He's learning so much at this job that will be helpful when we finally get to homestead. This spring he will be learning how to farm oat hay and alfalfa. He's excited with that as well. I've blogged about his employer who sells his cattle to Country Natural Beef. That organization sells it's beef to the Whole Foods Chain and other natural food stores. Not only is it great that my husband loves his job, but he's working for an ethical rancher who raises his cattle free range on organic grain, that he grows himself. If you are going to buy beef, buy beef from him! You can read my previous blog on this here.

2 comments:

CJ said...

i would love to stay in a small town coz thats were i was born and brought up.But after my marriage I m staying right in the heart of a big cosmopolitan city.Not such a great place to live


LOVE
chaitra

The Three Little Bears said...

Hi, I just discovered your blog! We just toop a leap of faith and moved to the country ourselves. We live 20 minutes from the nearest town and my husband's daily commute is 45-60 minutes both ways. He was the one that REALLY wanted to live where we do so I think it has been easier for him to bear the daily drive. Plus, he's gotten into the habit of listening to book tapes/CDs (from the library) and he absolutely LOVES that. I usually pick out a whole bunch and he listens to the ones he wants to.