Thursday, March 5, 2009

Call of the Wool


I've been interested in spinning my own wool for a while so I did a bit of research and found a local Shetland Sheep farm that was happy to show me around.

Call of the Wool is the name of the farm and the owner, Briana MacEwan, shears, spins and dyes her own wool. I spent a few hours last week at her farm while she taught me the basics of spinning. It is harder than I imagined. Not that I thought it would be easy, but it takes coordination to peddle, pinch with one hand and stretch wool with the other hand, all while spinning it onto the bobbin. I enjoyed it immensely and I can't wait to go back for my next lesson. Right now I have a Hand Spindle to practice with until we meet again.

Check out Briana's website at

You can also check out her beautiful handmade pieces and wool at Etsy here.






4 comments:

FarmHouse Style said...

Funny that I am learning to do the same thing myself. Best of luck:-)

Rhonda

FarmHouse Style said...

Did you make your drop spindle yourself? If not, may I ask you where you bought it?

Rhonda

slaterlife said...

Rhonda-
This drop spindle is beautiful. I got to borrow it for practice so I don't know where it's from, but I'll find out and let you know!

FarmHouse Style said...

Thanks!

Rhonda