I've decided I haven't bragged enough about where I live. I can't say enough how much I LOVE it here.On St. Patti's day, we decided to try out the local Irish Pub. The food was fantastic and they had fabulous live music. There was an eclectic mix of Irish music...flutes, string and a couple men that played on their bag pipes.
I continue to be amazed at the amount of culture that thrives in this small town. Our county, consisting of 7 small towns only contains a little over 7,000 people. In a county this small and this secluded, it's amazing to me that it houses such a big art community. Every time we've gone to listen to local, live music, I've been thoroughly impressed and excited.
We were child free on Friday, so we decided to stroll back over to the Irish pub (which actually is child friendly) and have dinner. The food, once again, was so wonderful and flavorful. This time, they had a young, local man who serenaded us on the piano. I'm so happy to have found this gem of an area that is filled with a melting pot of people and art. It's the best of both worlds. It is a farming community as well, and the people who live here are big into homesteading and self-sufficiency. On small acreages, there are regulations stating that there cannot be more than one dwelling on a property unless it is over 160 acres. That prevents the area from subdivisions, overpopulation and protects the farmers. I hope it stays this way forever. The people that live here know what they have and they cherish and take care of it. It's great to live around so many like-minded people.
Saturday I got up early and took the dogs for a walk in the Enterprise valley. The valley is one of the most desired areas to live in Wallowa county. It's speckled with small acre farms and it's picturesque and stunning. My backdrop is the Wallowa mountain range. When I walk, I hear the rushing creeks that wind and split the farmland apart. I also hear birds louder than I've ever heard. I don't have to worry about much traffic on the country roads and I can let all my dogs off leash, including Bean and Cheese, our 3lbs chihuahuas. I can get on my bike with Kelsey, our Aussie, and ride around town without the worry of being hit by a car. People still wave as they drive by and no-one drives over 25 miles an hour through town. 

The closest Wal-mart, department store and highway is over 45 miles away. We do live literally at the end of the road and I couldn't be happier.

No comments:
Post a Comment