I've mentioned a few times in past blogs that Jordan is working for a cattle rancher. He's been loving it because he gets to work outside all day and it's manual labor so he's beefin' up. I can't believe his upper body! He's getting these farmer muscles. Woo hoo! He says that he gets to be closer to nature and I imagine that lots of ranchers and cowboys feel that way. They are out there in the elements all day and you can't help but have a deep connection with nature when you do any type of ranch or farm work.I don't eat beef. I haven't eaten it for quite some time. Of course I don't eat beef now because I'm a veggie, but I never really craved a big, juicy steak in the past. I was never a fan of red meat and I don't miss it. If you've read past blogs you know I am completely against commercial cattle ranches and animal abuse AND I am adamant that if you do want to eat meat, you find out exactly where it is coming from.
For all the meat eaters out there, you will be happy to know that Jordan is working for a rancher who really cares about his cows. Jim Dunham is a member of an organization called Country Natural Beef. This company is a supporter of small, family owned ranches and is one of the main suppliers of beef to the Whole Foods grocery store chain, among other natural food stores.
Jordan has noticed, while working for him, that Jim really cares about his cows. He nurses them back to health when they aren't feeling well and bottle feeds the ones that lose their mothers from giving birth. He doesn't prod, hit or abuse any of his animals. He treats all 1000 + of them like big pets. Unlike some ranchers, he rarely takes them to the veterinarian. He has everything he needs to take care of them himself.
The cattle are raised on grass and oat hay that he grows on his own property. No additives are allowed. He also is environmentally aware and recycles, reduces and reuses every piece of matter on his property....all the way down to nails that are taken out of fences. He throws almost nothing away and reuses everything. He is truly a inspiring rancher who values mother earth and all her creatures. It makes me extremely happy to know there are ranchers like the Dunham's out there. Gives you a bit of hope for our animals and the planet they live on.
If you are going to eat beef, I'd highly suggest their beef. It's apparently the best beef in the county and the best beef that Jordan and Alison have ever had. I've seen the cows and I've seen how they live and if I was a cow, I would want to be a Dunham cow. PLUS, if you eat their beef, you are supporting a small, family ranch as opposed to big corporate farms where the animals are shoved into inhumane facilities for their whole lives. The Dunham ranch consists of over 5,000 acres. His cattle have all the room in the world to run.
It has snowed, so the cattle are getting fed now and last week, I got to help Jordan feed the cows. It was surprisingly fun! I watched in awe as Jordan loaded up the truck with hay, with the tractor (yes he's operating tractors!) We then drove a mile or two out to where the cows are and I helped him feed. It's quite tricky. You put the truck in first gear, then hop out while it's moving, run to the back of the truck and jump on. Once on, you have to maintain your balance, cut hay bails and kick off flakes to all the awaiting cow tummies below. The truck goes about 2 miles an hour and you feed. It's fun!
It has snowed, so the cattle are getting fed now and last week, I got to help Jordan feed the cows. It was surprisingly fun! I watched in awe as Jordan loaded up the truck with hay, with the tractor (yes he's operating tractors!) We then drove a mile or two out to where the cows are and I helped him feed. It's quite tricky. You put the truck in first gear, then hop out while it's moving, run to the back of the truck and jump on. Once on, you have to maintain your balance, cut hay bails and kick off flakes to all the awaiting cow tummies below. The truck goes about 2 miles an hour and you feed. It's fun!If you want to read more about Country Natural Beef go to their website at http://countrynaturalbeef.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1
For more pics go to my flickr


No comments:
Post a Comment