Wednesday, December 31, 2008

It's almost 2009!

Life has been pretty quiet for us the last few weeks. We had a very mellow Christmas, which was nice. It's the first year we've been together, that we've been alone. We missed family and friends, but we still enjoyed ourselves.
I used to despise Christmas when I was in college because that time of year was always so stressful! I had finals and family, friends and gifts to buy on a college student budget! It's much more enjoyable now...especially since I have Jordan and Alison and all our furry family members to celebrate with.
It's almost 2009! The year I'll be 29. Hard to believe! I hope everyone had a happy holiday and will enjoy the New Year festivities. We'll be meeting a few friends tonight and having a little bubbly, do the count down etc.

I'm not much into New Year resolutions because they never seem to stick, but this year there is one big one that Jordan and I want to work on. We want to buy a house! So we want to save money to make this possible. Property values are going down right now (as everyone knows) so, the next couples years will be ideal to invest. We're not looking for something fancy or with a high turn around value. We just want something with some acreage where we can have all of our animals, a garden, and a place for family and friends to come visit and get away from it all.

Many know, I have had and have so many ideas for my life...
A bed and breakfast
A small CSA (community sustaining agriculture) garden where we can grow organic fruits and veggies and sell them to the local community.
A horse stable
At one point, I wanted to own my own bakery, but I don't think I'd like the 3 a.m. hours that a place like that would require!
I've got my photography, which most likely will always stay a hobby.

Either way...the possibilities are endless. I've been blessed with interests, I just don't know what to do or where to start!! Now that we've settled down I figure I'll let nature follow it's course and life will work out the way it's supposed to.

For certain.....When we get our property, I want to have enough room to support a small animal rescue of some sort. It's something I said I always wanted to do, but honestly never thought I'd have the space to do it. Here, in wide open country, that will be possible. It will be a safe place where animals that might have been abused or are threatened with euthanasia, can come. We'll probably have it all! Llamas, goats, sheep, horses, cows, chickens...you name it! Our place will literally be A ZOO and I will be in heaven! Of course this means, NO long trips or international traveling for us and that's OK.

ALSO-

We've mulled over the idea of adopting a baby or young child in the future. Local is always good, but I'm really interested in international adoption and I've done some research. It's not that easy to do..in fact the whole process is a bit intimidating and expensive. You really have to make the cut to adopt. It's SO much easier to have your own!

Fortunately, I don't have that huge drive to pass on my genetic code, which is good because Jordan had the snippy snip (which is great!) 11 years ago and he can no longer pass on his gene. He's had one and he doesn't want to have more of his own...hence, the snippy snip.

When I was younger, I always said I wanted to have kids, then in college, I wanted NOTHING to do with them. Now that life is stable, and I'm with someone I love, the idea is appealing and I want to help a child in need. The earth is so overpopulated and there are so many children that don't have homes. Some Asian countries, being a girl guarantees you a life of slavery. Girls are sold off at age 9 or 10 to men who will use and sell them as prostitutes. Babies in Ethiopia are starving or they are homeless because both parents are dying of disease.

Geesh I sound like an ad on T.V., but all this is true and now that's I've done research, it's hard to turn the other cheek. I REALLY want to help. This won't happen soon, but in future years. Jordan always jokes and screams, "NO..not again!", but really is supportive and interested in the whole idea. Alison is coming around. I think when we used to talk about it, she worried because she thought she'd lose our attention and love, but she's getting older and more receptive to it. She'll probably be in high school by the time anything happens.

Amazingly, This whole idea sparked 2 years ago when I was at work. I started reading an article in a magazine, I think it was National Geographic, about young girls in the Philippines that were being sold into prostitution. Girls that are Alison's age get a 8x10 room, with a twin mattress thrown on the floor. They live in that room and that is the room where they have to sleep with older men. The article had pictures and it really disturbed me. It bothered me for days and I still think about it. That was that day, that I swore if I ever decided to have children, that I would adopt.
So maybe someday. I think about it more often now-a-days. Probably because I'm encroaching on 30.




I love my life now and am greatful for all I have, but Someday... =)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

“To dream anything that you want to dream. That's the beauty of the human mind. To do anything that you want to do. That is the strength of the human will. To trust yourself to test your limits. That is the courage to succeed.” - Bernard Edmonds.

You are such an amazing, beautiful person. One day you will have it all, and I am so glad I get to be around to witness all the amazing things you are going to do with your life!

I hope you and your family have a safe and happy New Year - hooray for 2009!