Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Homesteading, Amish and Off the Grid....OH MY!!


I've successfully been searching for others out there who are writing about what Jordan and I want to do. It's taken a while, but I've found several new blogs and I've added them to my blog list. A few are listed below. Go check them out!

SO there are others out there who are doing what we want to do and it gives me so much hope!

Tonight I read about a family who gave up the rat race lifestyle and bought 40 acres on an "off the grid," Amish farm. I found 2 other families that have done the same thing...purchased land outside of Amish communities and they are living the simple life. Once a week they get to a computer to write about their lives on a blog. Others I found, are not completely off the grid, but have chosen to homestead, making their living from gardening, sheep, soaps, eggs...you name it!

On these blogs I found....

-A few different recipes for homemade dish soap.
-More info about CSA's (Community Sustaining Agriculture)
-Beautiful pictures of HUGE, successful gardens.
-A 15 year old's journal entry on her lifestyle which DIDN'T include IPOD's and T.V., but actually sunsets, kneading bread and taking the time to enjoy her life.

I'm so excited I'll have to wind down to go to bed.
It's amazing that Jordan and I have come so far in the past 2 years. For as long as I can remember, the idea of "living off the land," intrigued me. In high school, I had anxiety knowing that soon I would be graduating and that my life would be this rat race to work for money. I felt anxiety in that I couldn't escape it. I felt trapped, like a bunch of worker ants or a herd of cattle who had no choice. Until recently, I really believed that "living off of the land" wasn't something REAL or doable. In the past 2 years I've spent lots of time doing research. It's encouraging for me to find links to lifestyles I long to live. It's also encouraging that more and more people are choosing to go back to this lifestyle.

AND NO we don't want to become Amish. Homesteading is more up our ally.

3 comments:

Homemaker Ang said...

hello! thanks so much for your kind sentiments... Yes, we are very happy. More than we ever thought so, really we are...

You should download the PDF for free from my blog about henry and the great society, sounds right up your alley (as it was mine)gets interesting at the end but for the most part i LOVE IT!

We are expecting number 6 shortly.

Godspeed in your journey and DO NOT let the naysayers stop you. they are truly the ones missing out staying status quo... Read all the links of our reasons as well, i believe we have 7 reasons.

Ang

dont say you would not ever think of amish either :) it might surprise you...

CJ said...

Living on a farm away from the ratrace sounds so idyllic!I wish i could stay like that too.I was born and brought up in a small town where every one knows everyone else.Now that I am in a city i realize i miss my home town so much.Its a rat race here to survive

The Three Little Bears said...

I love that blog! I consider Ang my blog soul mate. lol. Okay, maybe not a soul mate, but a goddess that I worship on occassion. :)