I made 4 loaves of bread yesterday! This makes me extremely happy because, not only did I make the loaves of bread, but they turned out!I guess I was worried because I had some pre-notion that bread was fussy and hard to deal with, but I had no problems.
Making bread is one more process on my list of things to learn to become more self sufficient. With bread at almost 3-4 dollars a loaf for the whole grain type my family likes, it makes sense to make the bread and freeze it.
Yesterday I was proud to be in my kitchen, kneading bread. I felt somehow connected to all the woman who have looked out their window while kneading bread. For generations and generations, many woman have looked out their kitchen windows while using their hands to create something edible and delicious. Don't get me wrong, men bake too. I know there are plenty of men out there who bake wonderful bread. I just happen to feel more connected to the woman. =)
I don't know why more people don't make their own bread. I believe that some may think that bread making is very time consuming, but the 4 loaves I made where easy and quick. I sliced 2 of the loaves and put them in the freezer for later dates. My family now has lunch bread for 2 weeks. Easy!
I made a variety because I wanted to see what my family liked the most. Thankfully they liked all 3 recipes that I tried.
Oatmeal Bread/RollsMix together and cool:
2 cups boiling water
1 cup rolled oats
3 TBS salad oil (I used an Italian type)
Add:
2 tsp salt
2/3 cup brown sugar, honey, or agave syrup
5 cups flour (I combined bread flour with whole wheat flour)
Add:
1 pkg yeast (2 1/2 tsp) dissolved in 1/3 cup warm (100-115 degrees) water.
Beat in to make a soft dough. Let rise double; punch down; let rise again. Knead lightly and form into two loaves or pinch off small pieces into muffin pan. Let it rise again.
Bake the loaves at 375 degrees for 25-30 minutes. Bake the rolls for 20 minutes.
Ingredients:
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup all-purpose flour (I used unbleached bread flour)
1 TBS granulated sugar or agave syrup
1 tsp salt
1 TBS baking powder
14 ounces beer (or 12 ounces beer and 2 ounces water)
Directions:
Heat oven to 375 degrees. Combine flour, sugar, salt and baking powder in a large mixing bowel. Slowly stir in beer and mix just until combined. Batter will be thick. Spread in a greased 8-inch loaf pan and bake until golden brown and a tooth pick stuck in the center comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Cool in the pan, on a rack for 10 minutes. Removed from pan and cool 10 more minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Ingredients:
5-6 cups flour (I mixed whole wheat flour with bread flour)
2 TBS dry yeast
2 TBS sugar or agave
1 TBS salt
2 cups hot water (120-130 degrees)
1 TBS sesame, poppy seed or flax seed. (I used a combo)
Directions:
Mix 4 cups of the flour with the yeast, sugar and salt. Pour in hot water and beat 100 strokes or 3 minutes with a mixer. Stir in remaining flour until the dough is no longer sticky. Knead 8 minutes. Place dough in a greased bowl, and cover with a damp towel.
Let rise 15 minutes. Punch down. Divide into two pieces. Shape into two round loaves and place on a baking sheet. Cut an X half an inch deep on top with a sharp knife. Brush with water and sprinkle with seeds.
Place on the middle rack of a COLD oven. Place a cake pan of hot water on the lowest rack. Heat the oven to 400 degrees. Bake 30-50 minutes until deep golden brown.



1 comment:
Hey those pictures look tempting:D.Good work!!I am sure the breads were as delicious as they looked!I am going to save the recipes and try them out sometime:)
Post a Comment