Sunday, February 15, 2009

Hells Canyon


Life had been pretty quiet here. I've been working a lot and the internet has been a bit sluggish, so I haven't been on the computer as much.

Last weekend we took a trip to Lewiston, Idaho and Clarkston, Washington to get out of town and to get some supplies at Cost-co. Lewiston and Clarkston would probably be the same town if it wasn't for the Snake River that separates the two. The drive, is a 2 hour roller coaster of a drive that takes you down into the very northern part of Hells Canyon and it's a doozy. I've driven along HWY 1, in California, many times and on some other sketchy, windy roads, but HWY 3 tops my list of scary roads. The road doubles back on itself all the way into the canyon and all the way back up. If you are someone who gets car sick, this road is not for you. It was a beautiful drive though.
We weren't a big fan of Lewiston or Clarkston and we were really happy to come over the hill on the way home, and see our beautiful view of the Wallowa mountains. I still can't get over how incredibly beautiful they are!

Hells Canyon, from what I've heard, is spectacular. It's an outdoor person's paradise along with being the deepest gorge in the US. I CANNOT wait for spring and summer when I can hike and horseback ride in the canyon. It is also a huge draw for river rafters, backpackers, fishers, mountain bikers and campers.

"Hells Canyon, North America's deepest river gorge, encompasses a vast and remote region with dramatic changes in elevation, terrain, climate and vegetation. Carved by the great Snake River, Hells Canyon plunges more than a mile below Oregon's west rim, and 8,000 feet below snow capped He Devil Peak of Idaho's Seven Devils Mountains. There are no roads across Hells Canyon's 10-mile wide expanse, and only three roads that lead to the Snake River between Hells Canyon Dam and the Oregon-Washington boundary."-U.S. Forest Service






You can check out more about Hells Canyon here.
Pic on top by Just Peachy on Flickr


1 comment:

CJ said...

USA has some of the most spectacular places in the world.i have never been there but my hubby has.he traveled the length and breadth of it and the pictures he took tell it all.he just loves the country and minneapolis is his fav city :D