Saturday, November 22, 2008

Hunter's Banquet

Tonight we went to the annual Hunter's Banquet. Yes I know!... us and hunter's banquet shouldn't be in the same sentence. It was a comical night. Jordan's employer and his wife bought us tickets and we didn't want to be rude. They are so unbelievably nice and have done so much for us..... I figured I'd find the salad at the huge buffet and I'd be fine. I actually fell off the wagon so I could try 1/4 inch piece of elk, antelope and wild turkey. I figured it wouldn't kill me to try it and I didn't want any of those folks to suspect I was, as they say, "a granola hippie." HA! I was proud to be one of only ones at the table with a HUGE helping of green, tasty salad, but I swear Jordan's boss kept looking at me with questioning eyes. I actually think that he may not give Jordan as much work if he finds we don't eat a lot of meat. He is a second generation cattle rancher who is known to have the best beef around. He actually is one of the big suppliers of beef to the Whole Foods food store chain. SO I tried a few pieces of meat. Also had a bit of cheese in a few dishes and I must say I'm really bloated and uncomfortable. My stomach hurts. Most likely the cheese more than the minuscule pieces of meat I had. The elk tasted like really good beef, the antelope tasted like pork to me and I have to say, the wild turkey was like nothing I'd ever tasted. SO much better than the antibiotic injected, fatty turkey's I grew up eating every Thanksgiving. It had such a good flavor..a totally different flavor and I don't care for turkey...well I don't care for meat much so who am I to say.

So the food was ok and I filled myself with mostly non-meat and non-dairy dishes.

NEXT came the long winded hunter stories. Some comical, others kinda long and drawn out. The special guest was a park ranger who was attacked by a mountain lion in Colorado. Interesting story. Great story. Scary story. Was hiking along and was stalked and attacked. Almost killed him, BUT didn't! Left the hospital with 2 feet worth of staples in his head and plastic surgery on his face. 5 months later he got a call at work about a mountain lion who was contained up in a tree. He had to take the call...Turns out it was the mountain lion who attacked him. Ironic eh? Gave me chills.

The night was educational and a great experience. Everyone was really happy and exceptionally nice. I'm loving all my experiences here.

Well off to go look up some local, "granola, vegetable loving freaks" like myself. There are plenty in this area that LOVE a HUGE plate of green salad.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

im beginning to be concerned about your new way of life