I went for my first hike in the Eagle Cap Wilderness last weekend. A very nice lady I work with befriended me, and took me to the Mt. Joseph trail head on Saturday. BEAUTIFUL hike about 2 miles past Wallowa Lake. I didn't get too many pictures that day because she was hauling ass up the mountain and I didn't have time to stop! Man she's in good shape! I did get one quick shot of one of the smaller falls. 
All the trail heads are very close around here... 10-15 minutes max, so they are all very easy and convenient to get to. I'll take Alison and Jordan soon and get some pics.
Today I loaded up the dogs and went to Hurricane Creek trail head in the Eagle Cap Wilderness. I went early in the a.m. and I was the only one around. It's a new experience knowing you are the only soul for a few miles. I'm sure there were others out there, but I didn't see or hear anyone. The only sound was the creek rushing alongside the trail and a few birds here and there. Wildlife is spectacular out here. These mountains are still very raw and untouched. The white tailed deer are huge, along with the elk and they are everywhere! There are an abundance of birds too. HUGE birds of prey, including bald eagles. This means that the Chihuahua's stay on leash at all times. Apparently there are also mountain goats, mountain lions, wolves and bears oh my! so staying on the trail is a good idea and making lots of noise is also smart. I think a gun for safety is not such a bad idea when you are in these mountains....might have to invest in a small one to take with me. Hopefully next summer we'll be able to do some heavy trail riding and camping. 
Hurricane Creek road runs from town all the way into the mountains where the road ends and the trail head starts. On the way, the road eventually turns to gravel and you take this winding road back further and further in the woods. It's a gorgeous drive. A few people live out there. I decided today that I want to live somewhere like that! There was a piece of land for sale out there....hummm to dream. I could wake up, saddle Selina and ride her to the trail head within minutes and would never see a car or person. Luckily for us, there are lots of properties out here that are just what we are looking for. Hopefully, in a year or so we will be able to put something down on a nice little piece of property. Yipee skippy!
For more pictures of the hike click here.

No comments:
Post a Comment